The original buildings designed by the architect Sylvanus Trevail, were opened as a boys and girls school in 1878 by the Gwennap School Board. The sum of £2,500 for building St Day School was quoted and the board appointed Mr Peter Jennings as Master of St Day Boys'School at a salary of £105 per year,and Mrs Elizabeth Jenkins Harris, Mistress of the Girls' School at a salary of £80 per year!
From 1902 until the present time Cornwall County Council have administered the school- originally as three departments, with three headteachers-the infants, junior girls and junior boys. In May 1960 the three departments amalgamated into St. Day C.P. School under the leadership of Mr J.G. Gilbert as Headmaster. In 1999 the Governors decided to rename the school St. Day and Carharrack Community school, in order to reflect more clearly the people it serves.
St Day and Carharrack Community School is more than just an interesting and attractive Victorian building, it is also a wonderful learning environment. The building itself, along with more recent extensions, has been fully updated and the children are provided with a safe, stimulating and comfortable place to learn